Edmonton #1 at Fort Edmonton Park (May 17, 2008)
© Hans Ryffel, ERRS
Streetcar No. 1 was built in 1908 by the Ottawa Car Co. and was the second car to arrive in Edmonton prior to the opening of the new streetcar network. It was converted into a one man and single end car in the early 1930's and operated until streetcar abandonment on September 1, 1951. On the last day of operation No. 1 had the honor of carrying the dignitaries across the High Level Bridge and was subsequently the only car to survive in one piece. Unfortunately, it was stored outside for more than a decade and suffered significant damage through weather and vandalism.
Restored by volunteers car #1 participated in the City's 75th anniversary in 1979 and operated once more across the High Level Bridge with the help of a generator trailer during the Thanksgiving weekend. In 1984 it became the first operational car of the Edmonton Radial Railway Society in Fort Edmonton Park. No. 1 is the only survivor of it's class and therefore is of great historical value. Trucks and motors have been overhauled during the last few years, whereas the wooden body is mostly in the condition it was during the last period of streetcar operation. Due to this, the car is only used on special occasions at Fort Edmonton Park.
During the Centennial Transit Week in September 2008 one hundred year old No. 1 was the crown jewel in the display of historic transit vehicles in front of City Hall at Churchill Square.
Edmonton Radial Railway Streetcar No. 1 in original configuration as double ended 2-man car at Jasper Avenue
© Camrose Museum
Car #1 is on the blue-and-white route on July 7, 1949 as it travels east on Jasper Avenue between 100 Street and 99 Street. The car appears to be in fine shape in spite of its 41 years of service to the Edmonton Radial Railway.
© Foster M. Palmer (ERRS Collection)