Edmonton #33 has been fully restored to original 1912 condition (May 31, 2011 at Strathcona) © Hans Ryffel, ERRS
Streetcars No. 32-46 were built in 1912 by the St.Louis Car. Co. in Missouri, USA. Most cars in this group were converted to single-end operation in 1930-31, but car No. 33 was only converted late in the 1930s. Some streetcars of this batch remained in regular revenue service until cessation of streetcar service in September 1951, when they were stripped of their trucks and electric components and the bodies sold for use as cottages or farm barns.
The remains of #33 on a farm south of Willingdon AB prior to recovery by ERRS (December 3, 1980 © George Buck, ERRS
No. 33 (a sister car of No. 42) was recovered by our museum in an extremely decrepit state. It basically had to be rebuilt from scratch, a huge job which took 17 years, more than 35,000 volunteer hours and investments of $151,000. This streetcar has been restored to original 1912 condition as a two man double ended car in the original red & green livery. Once again, the trucks were built in our own workshops. The car was launched on July 1, 2010 at Fort Edmonton Park, where it was operating for the rest of the season. In 2011, No. 33 was moved to the High Level Bridge Line and is bringing our city's transport history alive downtown.
Streetcar #33 leads a parade of four Edmonton Trams (July 1, 2010) ©Oliver Ryffel, ERRS